Emmet County Sheriff's Office
Emmet County Sheriff, Mike Martens
Employment Opportunity – Emmet County Jailer
The Emmet County Sheriff’s Office is currently accepting applications for a full-time jailer. This position comes with full-time employment benefits including paid vacation, holiday pay, health insurance, life insurance, sick leave and an IPERS retirement program.
Duties include but are not limited to the care, supervision and transportation of county jail prisoners.
The starting wage is $17.32 per hour with step increases to $18.78.
A job application and complete description of the duties and responsibilities is available HERE or at the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office. The position is open until filled.
Emmet County is an EOE.
Notice of Competitive Testing
The Emmet County Sheriff’s Office is now taking applications for a motivated candidate to join our team of professional law enforcement officers as a patrol deputy sheriff.
This position starts at $70,583.75 or $33.94 per hour with an additional rate based upon previous experience and qualifications.
The current salary rate after five years of experience as of July 1st 2023 is $74,406.15 or $35.78 per hour. Starting deputies will have annual step increases for five years in addition to any other salary increase.
In addition, overtime is available with this position at 1 ½ times the standard rate of pay, paid vacation, paid holidays, (approximately 4 weeks paid time off in the first year), sick benefit, paid employee health insurance, IPERS retirement system and an individually assigned take home patrol vehicle.
A successful applicant will need to be able to achieve and maintain necessary certifications and skill sets as required by the State of Iowa and the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office, report to work on short notice and be available to work different shift schedules as needed including night shift, day shift, weekends and holidays, possess a high school diploma or GED as well as a safe driving record.
Lateral transfer of current Iowa certified officers will be accepted. All other applicants will be required to undergo a Civil Service Examination/POST (Police Officer Selection Test) and physical agility test. Top qualifiers must undergo a background investigation, psychological examination as well as other pre-employment testing.
Physical agility testing requirements are available online at: https://ilea.iowa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Form-PTStandards-2022.pdf
Applications and complete job description are available at the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office at 114 North 6th Street in Estherville, Iowa, on the web at www.emmetcounty.iowa.gov or on the Emmet County, Iowa Sheriff’s Office Facebook page.
Applications with resume must be received by the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office by 4:00 pm on October 13th 2023. Testing of eligible applicants will be conducted at 8:00 am October 21st, 2023.
Eligible applicants will be notified of the exact location prior to testing. Contact Emmet County Sheriff Mike Martens with any questions at 712-362-2639. Emmet County is an EOE.
- Chief Deputy – Justin Schultes
- Deputy – Jeff Merrill (Patrol Sergeant, Training Officer, Advanced Traffic Accident Investigator, Pursuit Driving Instructor, Drone Pilot)
- Deputy – Caleb Creech (Drone Pilot, Taser Instructor)
- Deputy – David Greenwald (Defensive Tactics Instructor)
- Deputy – Jesse Mickelson
- Deputy – Dylan Eshelman
- Civil Clerk – Laurie Thomas (Part-time Jailer)
- Jail Administrator – Laurie Thomas
- Jailer – Ahren Ouellette
- Jailer – Rosalia Rodriguez
- Jailer – Brett Preston
- Part-time Jailer – Stephanie Franzen Nelson
- Dispatcher – Casie Whitacre (Terminal Agency Coordinator)
- Dispatcher – Chris Inman
- Dispatcher – Allie Tendal
- Dispatcher – Melanie Anderson
- Part-time Dispatcher – Tera Shatto
- Part-time Dispatcher – MacKenzie Kollasch
- Part-time Dispatcher – Jarrod Fischer
- Part-time Dispatcher – Sarah Preston
Emmet County Sheriff's Department Info
Civil Process Services
- Charges for Small Claims Service is $30.00 for first defendant, $20.00 for additional defendants, plus .55/mile with a minimum of 10 miles ($5.50).
- Service fees and mileage do not have to be paid in advance of service. Advance payment could be required from plaintiffs not paying on time or not paying for previous services.
- Charges for serving arrest warrants and subpoenas are $35.00 plus .55/mile with a minimum of 10 miles.
- A Permit to Acquire is needed for a person that wishes to purchase any type of gun. A Permit to Acquire is good for five years and the cost is $25.00.
- Renewal of a permit to carry weapons is $25.00. Cost of a new Permit is $50.00
- You may obtain a copy of your driving record for $10.00.
- A copy of an accident report is $10.00.
HSI Victim Notification Program
The HSI Victim Notification Program allows eligible victims and witnesses to obtain reliable and timely information regarding a criminal alien’s release from custody. However, victims and witnesses are required to register with HSI in order to receive notifications.
Please CLICK HERE for more information on the Universal Resource Locator for the HSI Victim Notification Program.
VINE – Victim Information and Notification Everyday
The IowaVINE is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding their offender’s custody status and register to receive telephone and e-mail notification when the offender’s custody status changes.
This service is brought to you by your local Emmet County Sheriff’s Office.
The VINE toll-free number for IowaVINE is 888-742-8463.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON VINE
The Emmet County Sheriff’s Office will do fingerprinting for a $10.00 fee.
Fireworks Permit ApplicationEMMET COUNTY FIREWORKS PERMIT APPLICATION – Click Here
Permits are not required for consumer grade fireworks for the following dates: June 1st through July 8th and December 10th thru January 3rd.Click here to read more about the new law.
To apply for a fireworks permit in Emmet County, please complete and return the application to the:
EMMET COUNTY AUDITOR’S OFFICE
609 1st Avenue North
Estherville, IA 51334
Any questions, please call 712-362-4261
Emmet County Jail Information
Emmet County Jail
- Visitation – Thursdays and Sundays from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
- No person will be allowed to visit a prisoner if they have any criminal charge pending in court.
- All visitors under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Each prisoner will fill out a visitor list monthly with three visitors on that list. Immediate family do not need to be on the list. In addition to immediate family, those on the list are the only people allowed to visit a prisoner. Exception: a prisoner’s minister or attorney may visit with them at any time.
- Jail Room and Board: A prisoner that has been convicted in court and sentenced to serve time in the Emmet County Jail must pay room and board.
- Daily rate: $35/day weekdays no work release • $50/day with work release • $50/day weekends
- A work release will not be allowed unless court ordered. A person on work release will pay their room and board in advance.
- Breakfast (prepared on site) – Cereal, fruit, bread, milk and juice
- Lunch (prepared on site) – Milk, cold meat sandwich, fruit, bag of chips
- Supper – Hot lunch
Emmet County will provide 2 stamped envelopes per week to be used by a prisoner. All mail coming or going may be read by staff of the Emmet County Sheriff Department. Exception: Mail to or from the prisoner’s attorney will remain confidential. No obscene or pornographic material, food, beverages, tobacco will be allowed in the jail.
Inmates are allowed to use the inmate phone at any time when they are not in lockdown. The person being called will be billed for the call by Reliance Telephone Systems. Phone cards can also be purchased at a reduced rate by calling Reliance Telephone Systems at 800-896-3201 or by visiting Reliance Telephone Website. All calls may be monitored by staff. iPods for texting are also available for use by inmates and text cards can be purchased in the same manner as phone cards. All texts sent and received may be monitored by staff.
The Emmet County Jail currently has a commissary. A list of the items will be available for purchase to each inmate. Items from the commissary will be purchased via Tiger snacks. Family members or friends will have the ability to purchase commissary on tigersnack.com for inmates. Inmates will not have the ability to purchase commissary online. Only family or friends will have access to the website. The commissary program will be available to all inmates who are compliant with all jail rules and regulations. Any inmates who do not adhere to the rules and regulations will lose their commissary privileges.